Nutrients in food ( Balanced Diet)
- Found in foods: eggs,nuts,meat and chicken
- They build new tissues
- Needed for growing
- Needed to repair tissues
- Are made up of Amino acids - Bilding blocks that builf protiens in your body
- Found in foods : Rice,pasta,potatos and sugars
- To provide energy
- sugar- energy is quickly provided
- Rice,pasta,potatos - Energy is slowly provided
- Chemical reactions take place in body in a watery environment
Nutrients in food ( Balanced Diet) 2
- Found in foods : Butter and oils
- To provide stored energy
- Found in foods: Fruit and vegetables
- Not a nutrient
- Not taken in by the body or blood
- Helps prevent constipation ( When you can't remove faeces from your body,Fibre helps it to be removed correctly)
Vitamins and Minrals
- Healthy funtioning of body
- Are needed - otherwise leads to sufferring of dificency disease.
Why do we need a balanced diet?
A balanced diet stops you from suffering malnutrition
Malnutrition = Over weight or Under weight
- If you take in more energy but use less energy = Put on weight
- If you use more energy than taken in =Lose weight
The total of chemical reactions taking place in your body requiring energy
High Metabolism Low Metabolism
Does loads = Exercise = Doesn't do a lot
Inherited gens = Genetics = Inherited gens
High proportion of muscle to fat = Muscle | Fat = Low proportion of muscle to fat
Males (Generally) = Gender = Females (Generally)
Cholesterol is linked to Malnutrition
- Type of fat which is required in the body
- It provides stability in every cell of your body.
- A substance made by the liver.
- Found in the blood.
- The amount produced depends on diet and inherited factors.
- High levels increase risk of disease in the heart and blood vessels & blocked arteries
1.High level of cholesterol
2.cholesterol blocking arteries
3. Restricting the amount of blood that can flow through arteries
4. Leads to heart attack
Type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is linked to Overweight
- Disease were you cannot control blood sugar
- Result of Insulin not being recognised by cells in the body
- Result of Insulin not working with the cells in the body to take sugar out of the blood
= Problems in body linked to diabetes
Cholesterol is carried around the body by 2 types
- LDL (Low density lipoprptein)
- LDLs are ‘bad’ and can cause blocked artiries and heart disease
- HDL (high-density lipoproteins)
- HDl are 'good' and they get cholestrol out of the body =Balancing these is important to having a healthy heart.
- Saturated fats increase blood cholesterol levels. e.g. Butter
- Unsaturated/ Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats may help both to reduce blood cholesterol levels and used improve the balance between LDLs and HDLs. e.g.Oils