- Created by: pk
- Created on: 10-04-13 12:40
Health benefits of regular moderate exercise?
Moderate exercise means daily investment of atleast 30 mins on sports or on activities such as brisk walking cycling and gardening.
what are the health benefits of regular moderate activity?
- favourable BMI
- Increases HDL level of blood which transports cholesterol to the liver where its broken down, reduces LDL levels which are associated with development of atherosclerosis.
- improved sensitivity of muscle fibres to to blood insulin levels- improves blood gluecose regulationand reduces the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes
- Maintainance of bone density and reduces its loss during old age.
- prolonged periods of vaso dilation - arteriole dilation lowers blood presssure. This reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
- Risk of contracting certain cancers: with rgular activity there is a significant reduction in contracting colorectal and breast cancer.
- It improves psychological well being and sound mental heallth.- releases endorphins
disadvantages of a sedentary life style
- overeating and drinking can lead to a weight gain and obesity.
- Obesity leads to High blood pressure, High LDL level which increase risk of coronary hear disease.
- obesity also increases the risk of type 2 diabetes- body doesn't produce enough insulin and body cells do not respond to the insulin produced. There is a decreased absorption of the glucose in blood to cells therefore cells breakdown fattyacids and protein instead which leads to weight loss.
Activity levels and states of health
Causal relationships between particular activity levels and states of health are established by;
- Clinical trials which investigate the biochemical or structural changes that are included in the subject
- Interventional Studies which works with volunteer groups of patients changing habits and life style. These establish the extent to which the incidence of diseases compared with rates of other patients.