- Created by: Tia-H
- Created on: 13-04-19 21:57
- Tissue - A group of cells.
- Organ - A group of tissues.
- Organ system - Group of organs.
- Glandular - Secrete hormones & enzymes.
- Muscular - Contract & relax.
- Epithelial - Secretion, absorption & protection.
- Epidermal - Covers the outer surface.
- Palisade mesophyll - Chloroplasts for photosynthesis.
- Spongy mesophyll - Diffuses gas (has many air spaces) and photosynthesises.
- Xylem - Transports water and dissolves material.
- Phloem - Transports dissolved food.
- Stomata - Lower epidermis, diffusion and helps guard cells close.
1 of 5
A biological catalyst.
- Controls metabolism (the sum of all reactions).
- Denature - Active site loses shape because too hot/ cold or PH being wrong.
- Active site - Where the reaction happens - has unique shape.
- Enzymes are a long chain of folded amino acids (specific).
2 of 5
- Amylase - Carbs & Starch to sugars.
- Protease - Protein to amino acids.
- Lipase - Fatty acids to speed up reactions.
- Pancrease - Produces enzymes.
- Liver - Produces bile.
- Mouth - Contains saliva glands, teeth, toungue & amylase.
- Oesophagous - Transports the food.
- Stomach - Contains protease. Churns food.
- Small intestine - Large surface area. Enzymes are used for food digestion (molecules made smaller).
- Large intestine - Water is absorbed.
3 of 5
Transpiration & Gas Exchange
- Guard cells and stomata let water & minerals in/ out of the cell.
- Xylem moves them from root to leaves.
- Provides water for photosynthesis, transports mineral ions, cools the leaf and helps keep the plant healthy.
- Affected by: light, temperature and humidity.
- Nose -> Trachea -> Bronchi -> Bronchioles -> Alveoli.
- Alveoli have many capillaries and a large surface area.
- Breathing in - Diaphram flattens, ribs out, volume increases and low pressure.
- Breathing out - Diaphram goes up and out, ribs out,volume decreases and Higer pressure.
4 of 5
The Heart & Blood
Helping the heart.
- Stent - Small mesh tube inserted into partially blocked artery. A balloon is inflated to expand the stent. The ballon is removed from the expanded stent.
- Vavle Replacement - Lasts 12 - 15 years, the faulty valve is replaced with a working one.
- Pace maker - A small device implanted in the chest to regulate the heartbeat.
- Artificial Heart - Temporary, risk of blood clots, no tissue match is needed.
- CHD - The narrowing of the coronary arteries ( that supply blood to the heart) causing blood clots.
Blood/ Blood Vessels
- Veins - Thin walls, low pressure, in the heart allow safe backflow.
- Arteries - Thick muscular walls, higher pressure, oxygenated blood away from the heart.
- Capillaries - One cell thick for diffusion.
- Red Blood Cells - No nucleus, haemoglobin binds to O2, disk shaped.
- White Bloods Cells - Produce: antibodies & antitoxins, engulf & digest pathogens.
- Platelats - Cell fragments that help blood clotting. (For example, scabs)
- Plasma - Transports blood cells & other substances. (For example, glocose)
5 of 5