- 2 hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to oxygen atom
- oxygen is more electronegative than hydrogen
- causes UNEVEN ELECTRON CLOUD DISTRIBUTION.
- unshared electrons give oxygen atom a slight negative charge and each hydrogen atom a slightly positive charge.
- makes water a POLAR MOLECULE
- negatively charged oxygen atoms of 1 water molecule attracts positively charged hydrogen atom of another water molecule
- this attraction is called HYDROGEN BONDING.
1 of 3
PROPERTIES OF WATER caused by hydrogen bonding
- HIGH SPECIFIC HEAT CAPACITY- amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a 1kg substance by 1degree celsius.
- hydrogen bonds can absorb a lot of energy so a lot of energy is needed to heat it up.
- useful for organisms- it stops the rapid temperature change and keeps body temp fairly stable even as external environment heats up.
- HIGH LATENT HEAT OF EVAPORATION-amount of energy absorbed by a substance without raising its temp as it changes from one state to another.
- a lot of energy is needed to break hydrogen bonds between water molecules.
- useful- helps in cooling when we sweat(water in sweat absorbs heat from body as it evaporates). also cools plant leaves in hot climates as water evaporates from mesophyll cells.
- POLARITY makes water very COHESIVE(attraction between molecules of same type).
- useful- helps water to flow in mass,great for transporting substances.
2 of 3
PROPERTIES OF WATER
- polarity makes it a good solvent for polar substances.
- negative oxygen attracted to postive molecule and positive hydrogens attracted to negative molecule.
- causes substances to dissolve- separation and dispersal of molecules or ions of a substance between the molecules of the solvent.
- SURFACE TENSION- uppermost water molecules are pulled downwards.pulling forces draw them closer together. this forms strong layer on surface of the water.
- small animals are able to walk on it without difficulty.
- water is relatively dense(1.0g/cm3)-caused by molecules being pulled closely together by hydrogen bonds.
- water is fairly viscous
- Aquatic animals are streamlined,have cartilagous bones and air bladders to help them cut through water molecules more easily.
3 of 3