genetic = twin
TWIN, FAMILY, ADOPTION studies.
- TWIN- GOTTESMAN.
Twin Studies show genetic and environmental influences.
Identical twins = more concordant
- MZ (identical) concordance rate = 48%
- DZ (non identical) concordance rate = 17%
SZ runs in families?
closer the relative the greater the risk
- neither parent - 1% chance
- 1 parent has it - 16% chance
- both parents have it - 48% chance
GROUP 1 = 155 SZ women gave children to adoption.
GROUP 2 = 155 non SZ women gave children to adoption.
FOUND = 10.3% developed SZ in group 1
1.1% developed SZ in group 2
so......evidence that SZ runs in families. the more genetically simular = greater the risk.