- The flooding lasted from July to September with the Ganges reaching its highest levels ever.
- 66% of the land area was underwater.
- 30 million were made homeless.
- Dhaka, the capital, was 2m underwater and almost completely took off.
- 130, 000 cattle were killed.
- The entire annual stock of rice was destroyed.
1 of 3
Effects on human activity/ environment
- Annual threat to life, property and livelihoods.
- Accepted flood risk
- Heavy monsoon rain causes summer flooding.
- Silt blocks river channels and creates islands making discharge difficult
2 of 3
- Bangladesh - 80 per cent floodplain and delta making it very susceptible to flooding.
- Water and electricity in Dhaka was cut off and the sewerage system collapsed.
- Melting of snow from the Himalayas adds to the volume of water in the summer months
3 of 3