- Created by: jemmalaura
- Created on: 11-02-17 14:00
The Biochemical Explanation of Mental Illness
Cause - Believes mental illness is due to imbalance of chemicals within our bodies.
- However, hard to establish cause and effect
- Serotonin → links with depression, low levels means messages are passed ineffectively through neutral pathways = lower moods e.g. depression
- Dopamine → excess dopamine has associations with schizophrenia as a result of an overactive dopamine system
- Anxiety → linked with biochemicals such as serotionin and norepinephirine
The Genetic Explanation of Mental Illness
Cause - Believes that some disorders are assed through genetic → evidence through reseach of monoygotic and dizygotic twins
- If identical twins are separated but both have the same disorders, it could be conluded that this is due to genes
Gottesman & Sheilds (1976) → researched adapotion and twin samples
- Found increased concordiance rates but never 100% with 58% concordance rate for monozygotic twins
The Brain Abnormality Explanation of Mental Illnes
Cause - Believes that the size and weight of the brain can influence a person's mental illness.
- Brown et al → studied 41 schizophrenic's brains & 29 brains of people with affective disorder.
- Those with schizophrenia brain's were 6% lighter and larger temporal horn section.
- Weinberger (1992) → looked at identical twins
- Found differeces in brain structures, in particular prefrontal cortex
- Strakowski et al (1999) → found that patients with bipolar disorders had significant differences in volume of prefrontal and amygdala
- Patients suffering from deression have smaller hippocampal volume than non-depressed people