MAJOR DIVISIONS DEFINITIONS
- ANGLICAN - Member of the Church of England.
- LUTHERAN - Protestant Church named after Martin Luther.
- NON-CONFORMISTS - Protestant Churches which became separated from CofE in 17th Cen.
- METHODIST - Protestant denomiation. Founded by John Wesley.
- ORTHODOX - Eastern tradition of Christianity. 'Right-judgement'
- PATRIARCH - Eastern Orthox Bishop.
- REFOMATION - Seperation of Catholicism from western Christians
- SCHISM - The split between teh Eastern and Western traditions in Christianity.
1 of 5
ROMAN CATHOLIC AND ORTHODOX
- Global Church, 'Universal'
- Beliefs that make them different from other Christians;
- Pope is the headof the Church.
- All Priests must remain celibate.
- Women cannot become Priests.
- Anglo-Catholics (in CofE) share all beliefs but dont accept the primacy of the Bishop
- Opus Dei - The Work of God believes the Church is it's strongest when it is tightly controlled.
- The Great Schism caused the division.
- Usually worship in Greek not Latin.
- Patriarch of Constantinople, not the Pope.
- Allows icons on altar.
- Services take much longer.
- Mostly happens behind iconostasis, creating mystery.
2 of 5
PROTESTANT AND ANGLICAN REFORMATION
- Martin Luther wrote a list of theses that he thought were wrong with the Church;
- Bible should be translated into the vernacular.
- Magisterium should be based on scripture alone.
- The way to salvation is by faith alone.
- William Tyndale, John Calvin.
- Central feature of the church is the pulpit.
- Refomation orgins are found in the Protestand Reformation.
- Henry VIII formed Church of England so he could be Head of the Church and divorces his wife
- Anglo-Catholics barely different from Catholics.
- Anglican Protestants
- Differences from Catholics; women priests, married priests, no Pope, re-marriage sacrament.
3 of 5
- Different from Catholics;
- Smal 'class' study of prayer.
- Alcohol considered a problem
- Good days service for a fair wage
- Differences from Catholics;
- Open and free style worship
- Ministers selected by congregation
- Sunday Schools
- Free Churches in local community; Salvation Army, Quakers.
4 of 5
5 of 5