Biodiversity - What is it?
- amount of variation between same species
- number of different species
- number of different habitats
Biodiversity - Why is it important?
Biodiversity is important because...
- ecosystems with high levels of biodiversity are healthier
- more diverse ecosystems can cope with change
- it represents the variety of life in an area
Biodiversity - Natural Ecosystems
Biodiversity in natural ecosystems;
- have high diversity
- can maintain themselves without human interference
- for example, native woodlands, natural lakes, etc.
Biodiversity - Artificial Ecosystems
Biodiversity in artificial ecosytems;
- low biodiversity
- created and maintained by humans
- for example, forestry plantations, fish farms, etc.