Source of Energy
The main source of energy
- The Sun's radiation (pretty much it's light said in a fancypants way) is the source of energy for most of the animal groups
How do more basic plants absorb the resource of energy
- More basic plants (such as Green Plants and algae [simple, non-flowering, typically aquatic plant]) only absorb a small amount of the Sun's light.
What happens to the energy during photosynthesis?
- During photosynthesis, the type of energy changes from light energy to chemical energy
The mass of living material (biomass) at each stage in a food chain is less than it was at the previous stage.
- Biomass - mass of living material - tends to be smaller as each stage of the food chain gets further.
- The biomass at each stage can be drawn to scale and shown as a pyramid of biomass
- The amounts of material and energy contained in the biomass of organisms is reduced at each successive stage in a food chain because:
- some materials and energy are always lost in the organisms' waste materials
- respiration supplies all the energy needs for living processes, including movement. Much of this energy is eventually transferred to the surroundings.