Why is ATP a good immediate energy source?
- Releases small, manageable amounts of energy
- Breaks down in a single, one step reaction
- Too big to diffuse out of cell
- Soluble so can be transported to different parts of the cell
1 of 3
How is ATP made in the mitochondria?
- Substrate phosphorylation in the Links Reaction and Kreb Cycle produces ATP
- Reduced NAD and reduced FAD made in the Krebs Cycle
- These reduced co-enzymes release an electron that is passed along an electron transport chain, releasing energy as it does so which is used to pump protons into the intermembrane space
- Energy is released as they diffuse back into the Matrix
- Used to reform ATP from ADP + Pi using ATP synthase
2 of 3
What is ATP used for in the cell?
- Provides the energy for muscle contractions- provides the energy for the filaments of muscle to slide past one another and therefore shorten the overall length of muscle
- Active Transport
- Protein Sythesis
- Hormone production
- Cell division
- Activation of molecules (via phosphorylation)
3 of 3