- BUREAUCRACY- often referred to as 'red tape'. These are the rules and regulations that businesses have to abide by.
- SME- a small or medium enterprise. The common abbreviation to describe small businesses.
- SWOT ANALYSIS- an assessment of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of a business, market or product.
- FIXED CAPITAL- that is employed in assets of durable nature for repeated use over a long period.
- WORKING CAPITAL- the cash available for day-to-day operations of an organization.
- ECONOMIES OF SCALE- the reduction in long-run avearge and marginal costs arising from an increasae in size of an operating unit.
- COLLATERAL or SECURITY- something pledged as security for repaymeent of a loan.
1 of 3
Key Business Start-Up Objectives
- Clear Objectives
- Manage Cash Flow
- Gain Market Share
- Invest Profits
2 of 3
Key reasons for failure
- Poor Cash Flow Management- one of the main reasons for business failure.
- Inadequate Market Research- the market never stands still. are you still using the same research as a year ago or worse still no research at all?
- Unexpected Changes to Demand or Costs- tastes and fashions might change fast or you might find changing economic factors raise your costs.
- Strong Competition- the market leaders might be too powerful and the brand loyalty of customer too strong for you.
- Poor Supply Chain- suppliers might let you down with no products to sell and angry customer
3 of 3