What is film distribution?
- In the film business, the term "distribution" refers to the arketing and circulation of movies in cinemas and home viewing (DVD, Download, TV etc)
- Because of the enormous amount of cost in money and time involved in distribution, a distributor must feel confident that they will make a sufficient return on their investment.
- Having the backing of a major film studio, cast or director is bound to boost the chances ofsecuring a good distribution deal.
- Independent filmakers often use film festivals as an opportunity to get the attention of distributors
- A film distributor is often an independent company, subsidiary company or on occasions an individual; who acts as a final agent between the film production company and exhibitor, to the end of securing placement of the producer's film on the exhibitor's screen.
1 of 3
A distributor will try to determine the best strategy for opening the movie. There are several factors to consider:
- Target Audience
- Star power
2 of 3
- Vertical intergration - is where the three stages; producing, distribution and exhibition are seen as part of the same larger process, under the control of one company.
- Viral marketing - different forms of electronic word-of-mouth via the internet, email and mobile phones.
- Media conglomerate - describes companies that own large numbers of companies in various mass media such as television, radio, publishing, movies and the Internet.
3 of 3