Pathogens - Entering The Body
Pathogens cause disease.
Types of pathogens include bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
Pathogens can enter an organism in 3 ways:
- Gas exchange system - breathing in the pathogens
- Skin - damaged skin lets pathogens enter
- Digestive system - eating/drinking substances containing pathogens
Pathogens - Causing Disease
Pathogens can cause disease in 2 ways:
- Releasing toxins - these can block the function of nerve cells
- Damaging cells - by either rupturing them to release their nutrients, using their nutrients until they starve, or replicating inside them and causing them to burst.
Lifestyle - Coronary Heart Disease
Lifestyle can increase the risk of developing disease...
The risk of coronary heart disease can be increased by:
- Having a poor diet - high in fats/salts
- Lack of exercise
- Excessive alcohol intake
Lifestyle - Cancer
The risk of cancer can be increased by:
- Excessive exposure to sunlight
- Excessive alcohol intake - especially liver cancer
- Smoking - especially lung/mouth cancer
Changing your lifestyle decreases the risk of disease.