- Sound travels as a wave
- it is caused by objects that vibrates
- They can reflect and refract
- Audible to human ear is 20 - 20 000Hz
- It can not travel in vaccum
- More waves = high frequency = higher pitch
- the amplitude increase (taller) = the loudness increases
- A clear pure sound produces a smooth rounded waveform called Sine Wave
- Like there are electomagnetic radiation with frequenies we can nto see likewise there are sound waves that we cannot hear.
- It has several uses
- Ultra Sound has a higher frequency than the upper limit of a human
- Electronic systems produce ultrasound waves .
1 of 2
- It usually/partially reflects when the boundaries meet between two different mediums
- The time taken that it takes to return back to the detector ... that will show how far the boundary is.
- Given the speed we can work out the distance between the boundaries
- Given the frequency and wavelength of the ultrasound you can wok out the speed.
- Speed (m/s) = Freq (Hz) x Wavelength (m)
- Extremely effective at removing dirt.
- can be directed to very precise places
- clean delicate mechanisms wihout needing to dismantle
- iT IS SAFER THAN X-RAYS
2 of 2