- Created by: elliel0987654
- Created on: 14-06-16 14:40
Frankenstein Quotes- Gothic
- "and i call on you, spirits of the dead..."
- "his soul is as hellish as his form"
- shelley refers to the novel as "my hideous prodgeny"
- life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which should first break through and pour a torrent of light in to our dark world."
- "The agony of my feelings allowed me no respite; no incident occured from which my rage and misery could not extract its food"
1 of 7
Frankenstein Quotes- Settings/more nature
- 'black and comfortless sky'
- 'I sat one evening in my laboratory; the sun had set, and the moon was just rising from the sea'.
- 'I saw, by the light of the moon, the daemon at the casement'
- 'by the dim and yellow light of the moon'.
- 'the thunder burst at once with frightful loudness from various quarters of the heavens'.
- 'Dear mountains! My own beautiful lake!'
- the dashing of the waterfalls around, spoke a power might of Omnipotence'.
- 'It had then filled me with a sublime ecstasy, that gave wings to the soul, and allowed it to soar from the obscure world to light and joy'.
- 'I was tempted to plunge into the silent lake, that the waters might close over me and my calamities forever'.
2 of 7
Frankenstein Quotes- Elizabeth/Women
- "Lifeless and inanimate, thrown across the bed, her head hanging down and her pale distorted features covered by her hair"
- "Men appear to me as monsters thristing for each others blood"
- "The saintly soul of Elizabeth shone like a dedicated lamp in our peacefil home"
- "I looked upon Elizabeth as mine... possession of my own"
- Safie described as a woman of "angelic beauty and expression"
- Safie- "allowed only to occupy herself with infantile amusements"
3 of 7
Frankenstein Themes to know
- The Supernatural
- The Other
- Transgression/overreacher/forbidden knowledge
- The Hero-Villain
- Presentation of women
- Class/Social Order
- The Liminal
- Ambiguity and uncertainty
- The past
- the sumblime
4 of 7
Frankenstein Quotes- Victor
- "I was bewildered in a cloud of wonder and horror"
- "I saw, by the light of the moon, the demon at the casement"
- "When i thought of him, i gnashed my teeth, my eyes became inflamed"
- "I had worked for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life in to an inaminate body"
- "I kept my workshop of filthy creation"
- "Begone, vile insect! or rather stay, that i may trample you to dust!"
- "It was on a dreary night of November"
- “I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open"
- "The beauty of the dream vanished and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart"
- "Learn my miseries and do not seek to increase your own"
- "i swear to pursue the daemon... unitl he or i should perish in mortal combat"
- "i thought i held the corpse of my dead mother in my arms"
- "i beheld the wretch- the miserable monster whom i had created"
5 of 7
Frankenstein Quotes- Nature
- "I find it arise, like a mountain river, from ignoble and almost forgotten sources"
- "The light became more and more opressive to me"
- "I remember a strong light pressed upon my nerves so i was obliged to shut my eyes"
- "A gentle light stole over the heavens, and gave me a sensation of pleasure"
- "The ninth circle of hell...all the sinners are stuck in frozen water up to their shoulders neck or eyes"
- "It was a dreary night in November... the rain pattered dismally against the panes"
- "Glorious presence-chamber of imperial nature"
- Frankenstein "pursued nature to her hiding places"
- "The rain pured down in torrents and thick mists hid the summits of the mountain...the rain depressed me" (Reflection of inner turmoil showed through external weather)
- "The waves continually threatened the safety of my little skiff"
- "i might be driven into the wide Atlantic and feel all the tortures of starvation or be swallowed up in the immeasurable waters that roared and buffeted around me." (melodramatic)
- "we are still surrounded by mountains of ice, still in imminent danger of being crushed in their conflict"
- "the cold is excessive and many of my unfortunate comrades have already found a grave amidst this scene of desolation.
- 'Ruined castles hanging over precipices of piny mountains'.
6 of 7
Frankenstein Quotes- The Creature
- "i will glut the more of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends"
- i ought to be thy Adam, but i am rather the fallen angel
- Satan had his companion...but i am alone and detested
- beware, for i am fearless and therefore powerful
- "i will be with you on your wedding night"
- "in my joy i thrust my hand in to the live embers..."
- "I distinguished the insect from the herb and by degrees one herb from another"
- "The thought was madness; it stirred the fiend within me- not i, but she shall suffer; the murder i have committed because i am forever robbed of all that she could give me, she shall atone!"
- "the uncouth and inarticulate sounds which broke from me frightened me into silence again"
- "i am malicious because i am miserable"
- “I was benevolent; my soul glowed with love and humanity.”
- "The minutest description of my odious and loathsome person is given, in language which painted your own horrors and rendered mine indelible.”
- "Misery made me a fiend"
- "Unearth the ugliness rendered it almost too horrible for human eyes"
7 of 7
Similar English Literature resources: