ANIMAL CELLS- structure and function
nucleus : controls the cell's activities. contains instruction for making new organism.
cytoplasm: a liquid gel where many chemical reactions for life take place.e.g.respiration
cell membrane : controls the passage of substances in and out of the cell
mitochondria: where energy is released during aerobic respiration.
ribosomes: where proteins are synthesised (made). all the proteins needed in the cell are made here
PLANTS CELLS - structure and function
* they make their own food by photosynthesis
* all plants cells have a cell wall made of cellulose which strenghtens the cell and gives it support
* not all the plant cells have:
- chloroplasts = found in green parts of plant called chlorophyll
-permanent vacuole = space in the cytoplasm filled with cells sap. it is important to keep the cells rigid to support the plant.
chemical reactions in cells
cell chemistry works because all the reactions are controlled by enzyme (biological catalysts).
enzyme controls the reaction of :
- respiration = found in mitochondria
- photosynthesis = found in chloroplasts
- protein synthesis = found on the surface of ribosomes.