- German Christina theologian (1486- 1541)
- studied at University of Wittenburg
- 1515- 16 studdied in Rome
- 1523 Pastor or Orlamunde
- 1534 Dean at Basil university- died there.
1 of 2
Beliefs and Luther
- believed in adult baptism
- icons should be removed from church- factor in iconclastic riots (Zurich, Copenhagen)- urged marion pictures to be removed (1522)
- Denied physical but affirmed spiritual presence of Christ in communion.
- Church was corrupt- resulted in 151 thesis (1516)
Relations with Luther
- Began on good terms- Luther and Karlstadt refused to recant beliefs and excommunicated in 1521. Luther believed they shared theological similarites (stressed in Luther's eights sermons)
- Luter urging caution towards Karlstadt caused friction; L. argued Karlstadt and Muntzer were dangerous revolutionaries. Luther wrote agasint Karlstast in 1526.
- Peace between the two when Luther took in K. during Peasants war.
2 of 2