Why do we use continua?
- It is difficult to be specific about skills, some have elements of all characteristics to a greater or lesser extent
- These characteristics can change depending on the situation in which they are performed
- A gross skill involves large muscle groups, and there is little concern for precision
- A fine skill involves small muscle groups, and needs a lot of accuracy. Emphasis on hand-eye co-ordination!
Throwing a dart
- An open skill is affected by the environment, team mates, opponents, playing surface.
- There are LOTS of decisions to be made.
- Usually externally paced.
Shooting in netball
- Not affected by the environment
- Follow a technical model
- Usually self-paced
- Clear beginning and end
- Skill must be started again if wanting to repeat
- A number of discrete elements, that are put together in order to create a movement or sequence
- No definite beginning or end
- End of one cycle is the beginning of another
Self (Internally) Paced
- Performer is in control
- The performer determines when the movement will start, and the rate that it proceeds
- Movement not determined by the performer
- Determined by the environment