- "but these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people" - Sheila
- "men with important work to do sometimes have to spend all their time and energy on their business" - Mrs. B
- "Clothes mean something different to a woman.. sign or token of their self respect" - Birling
- "Just used her for the end of a stupid drunken evening, as if she was an animal.. not a person" - Inspector
- "Why shouldn't [Eva] try for higher wages?" - Eric
- "if they didn't like those rates, they could go and work somewhere else" - Birling
*Why did Priestley decide to use a working class woman rather than a working class man?
1 of 4
- "As if a girl of that sort would ever refuse money!" - Mrs B.
- "One of the things that prejudiced me against her case" - Mrs B.
- "few friends, lonely, half-starved, she was feeling desperate" - Inspector
- "these girls aren't cheap labour" - Sheila
- "She was claiming elaborate fine feelings and scruples that were simply absurd for a girl in her position" - Mrs B.
- "there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us" - Inspector
2 of 4
- "the famous younger generation who know it all" - Birling
- "take my word for it, you youngsters.. I've learnt in the good hard school of experience" - Birling
- "You're behaving like a hysterical child" - Mrs B.
- "They're more impressionable" - Inspector
- "He could have kept her on instead of throwing her out" - Eric
- "It's you two who are being childish - trying not to face the facts" - Sheila
- "Mother, I think it was cruel and vile" - Sheila
- "from the way you children talk, you might be wanting to help him instead of us" - Mrs B.
3 of 4
- "a man has to mind his own business and look after himself and his own" - Birling
- "it's time you started facing a few responsibilities" - Birling
- "I can't accept any responsibility" - Birling
- "We are all members of one body" - Inspector
- "then he'd be entirely responsible" - Mrs B.
- "It's my own fault" - Sheila
- "Public men.. have responsibilities as well as privileges" - Inspector
- "It doesn't alter the fact that we all helped to kill her" - Eric
4 of 4
Similar English Literature resources: