- she is objectified to make her seem like an "animal" and "a thing not a person".
- vehicle of JBP to represent all lower class women at the time (hence the name changing at the time)- "there are millions of eva smiths and john smiths". this shows shge is very common
- link to suffragettes.
- binary opposites (men vs women, socialsim vs capitalism, upper class vs lower class)
- eva is a dramtic device as she forced audience and characters to consider social responsability
- she is also very moral- this is ironic because the upper class people ( the birlings and goole) are not
- she is a victim of class barriers and lack of social reponsbility
- she is a vehicle of JBP at the time to help raise issues about working class and women
1 of 3
techniques you must use!!!
- dramatic device-
- well-made play
- socail facade
- dramatic irony
- social responability
- binary opposites
2 of 3
- she shows the class barriers and binary opposites of rich vs poor (sheila vs eva)
- the regret of getting eva/daisy fired makes her seem more socially responsible and more Independence. the fact she got eva 'fired' contrasts her responsibility in the play. "and i know im to blame and im desperately sorry
- there is also a generation gap between sheila and her parents, the irony is that she ends up teaching them something when the parents doubt her ability
- on page 59 she is seen as the 'voice of reason' who sums evrything up, showing that she is becoming more dominant
3 of 3