- Created by: abbiedye
- Created on: 04-07-18 14:57
Act 1 - Part 1
- The Birlings are celebrating and they are very happy
- The Inspector interrupts to discuss Eva Smith's suicide
- Eva was sacked two years ago from Mr Birling's factory
- The discussion of the suicide causes conflict on stage between Mr Birling, Eric and the Inspector
Quotes from Act 1 Part 1
- Arthur Birling: 'It's one of the happiest nights of my life.'
- Gerald: '[laughs] You seem to be a nice well-behaved family'
- Inspector: 'I'd like some information, if you don't mind'
Act 1 - Part 2
- Sheila feels sorry for Eva Smith
- Sheila confesses that she complained about the girl and got her sacked from Milwards
- Eva Smith changed her name to Daisy Renton
- Gerald admits to Sheila that he had an affair with Daisy
Quotes from Act 1 Part 2
- Sheila: 'What do you mean by saying that? You talk as if we were responsible -'
- Sheila: '[miserably] So I'm really responsible?'
- Gerald: 'So - for God's sake - don't say anything to the Inspector'
Act 2 - Part 1
- Gerald still hopes to hide his involvement with Eva / Daisy
- The Inspector tells Gerals and Sheila that they are all responsible
- Mrs Birling behaves in a superior way to the Inspector, Gerald and Sheila
- Gerald reveals the details of his affair with Daisy, and Sheila breaks off the engagement
Quotes from Act 2 Part 1
- Inspector: 'we'll have to share our guilt'
- Mrs Birling: 'Girls of that class'
- Gerald: 'All she wanted was to talk - a little friendliness'
Act 2 - Part 2
- Eva was pregnant and asked for Mrs Birling's charity for help
- Mrs Birling didn't like the girl and used her influence to have the claim rejected
- The Inspector manipulates Mrs Birling into stating that the father of Eva's child was entirely to blame for her death
- The audience and the characters on stage gradually realise that Eric is the father
Quotes from Act 2 Part 2
- Mrs Birling: 'I'm very sorry. But I think she only had herself to blame.'
- Mrs Birling: 'As if a girl of that sort would ever refuse money!'
- Sheila: '[with sudden alarm] Mother - stop - stop!'
Act 3 - Part 1
- Eric met Eva and made her pregnant
- Eric accuses his mother of killing Eva and the baby, and says his father is unapproachable
- The Inspector reminds the Birlings that they are all responsible for Eva Smith's death
- The Inspector states his belief that all members of society need to look after each other
Quotes from Act 3 Part 1
- Mr Birling (to Sheila): '[very sharply] You heard what I said'
- Eric: 'You're not the kind of father a chap can go to when he's in trouble.'
- Mr Birling (to Eric): '[furious, intervening] Why you hysterical young fool - get back - or I'll -'
- Inspector: 'We don't live alone. We are members of on body. We are responsible for each other.'
Act 3 - Part 2
- Gerald reveals that the Inspector wasn't a real police officer
- They find out that there is no dead girl at the infirmary
- Arthur, Sybil and Gerald relax, thining everything can be covered up and forgotten
- Sheila and Eric still feel guilty and cannot understand the others' behaviour
- The play ends with a phone call from the police saying a girl has died and an Inspector is on his way to the house
Quotes from Act 3 Part 2
- Sheila: 'Everything we said had happened really had happened'
- Arthur: '[heartily] Nonsense! You'll have a good laugh over it yet'
- Sheila: 'You began to learn something. And now you've stopped.'