Name: Ambroise Paré
Died:20 December 1590
- French Surgeon
- Royal surgeon to kings
Fact: Trained as a barber-surgeon
What he did?
- showed how wounds could be healed
- how ligatures/thread could be used
- gave effective advice on amputations and setting of fractures
- Pare made artificial limbs and new tools/instruments for surgeons to use
In 1575 he published "The Collected Works of Surgery".
It was by chance that Paré made discovery about the treatment of soldiers' wounds:
- He ran out of oil which he usually used to treat the wounds by sealing it with the hot oil
- He made a dressing of egg whites, oil of roses and turpentine, which he put to a wound and it work better than the other method.