- Apollo sent a plague on Agamemnon's army
- Because he treated Chryses with insensitivity and discourtesy
- Chryses' daughter was captured
- He came to Greek camp with full ransom
- The army was happy to give her back and applauded
- Agamemnon said 'Don't let me see you in our camp or your crown and staff won't preserve your life'
- Went away and prayed to Apollo
- Apollo heard and came down in anger
- He killed Greek soldiers with arrows
- For nine days they suffered
- Hera told Achilles to call a counsel of kings and chieftains
- He told Agamemnon to consult a prophet...
1 of 3
- The prophet Calchas stood up
- Asked Achilles for protection
- He accepted
- He said 'Apollo is angry with us. You must return Chryses daughter to him'
- Agamemnon said that she would be restored, but wanted compensation
- Achilles said he was greedy and he would get 3 or 4 times what he'd lost
- Agamemnon laid out terms; He must get equal value of what he gave up
- If he didn't, he'd get it himself
- Achilles said he didn't have any shame
- Athena appeared and said 'Don't kill him,because soon he will rely on you.'
- Agamemnon called Achilles a drunken brute and that he didn't have the courage to fight
2 of 3
- Nestor said that Priam would be laughing if he saw
- He said only the Trojans could benefit from this quarrel
- Agamemnon said that Achilles had no authority, or respect
- Achilles said he would not resist if Agamemnon touched anything of his, especially Briseis
- He took back Chryses' daughter
- While he was gone, Agamemnon stole Briseis
3 of 3