- Abyssinia: independent country ruled by Haile Selassie, only independent black courty in Africa.
- !896 its army had defended an Italain invasion.
- Mussolini: Fascist dictator of Italy, was determind to build an Empire. Also wanted revenge from the defeat of 1996.
1 of 4
- October 1935 the invasion begins by sending heavy artillery and tanks.
- Abyssinia leader asked for help from the League of Nations.
- League of Nations imposed economic sanctions but delayed banning oil exports in case the USA didn't support them.
- Britain and France didn't close the Suez Canel to Italain ships. Suppliers get in dispite the sanactions.
- By May 1936 Italy Conquered all of Abyssinia.
2 of 4
League: ACTIONS and RESULTS
- December 1934 offers arbitration.
- Rejected by Italy
- January and February 1935 depicts its response.
- No further actions
- May - September sets up a five power consitution
- Abyssinia rejects proposal
- October 1935 Italy condemmed limited economic sanction imposed
- July 1936 - Sanction against Italy were abandoned
- Italy - kept Abyssinia
- - Became allied with Germany
- -left the Stresa Front
- -Left the League (1937)
3 of 4
Why the L of N failed
- F - French and Britain self interest
- A - Absent powers - USA
- I - Ineffective sanctions
- L - Lack of an armed force
- U - Unfair treaty
- R - Reaching decisions too slowly
- E - European club, everyone had to agree
4 of 4