Reasons for abortion
Reasons why abortion may take place:
- Single mother, not in a serious relationship, may not want to bring up a baby on her own.
- Pregnancy happens at a bad time, e.g. young, student, career, too many children already, etc.
- Foetus is not developing normally, e.g. mentally or physically handicapped.
- The woman’s health is at risk.
- She feels she cannot cope with having a baby.
The law of abortion
The law only allows abortion if…..
- 2 registered doctors examine the woman and agree to the abortion.
- Her mental or physical health is at risk if she goes through with the pregnancy.
- Existing children may suffer if another baby arrives.
- Abortion has to be done before 24 weeks (law 1990).
- Abortion is allowed up to birth if the baby is mentally or physically handicapped, or if the mother’s life is at risk.
- Most Christians believe that the abortion date should be reduced to 20 weeks.
- It’s the mother’s body.
- Every baby has the right to proper care and love; if this is not possible, abortion should be OK.
- There are already too many unwanted babies in our over-populated world.
- Raped women should not be made to have the baby.
- If baby is severely handicapped, only mother can decide if she can look after the baby.
- Under-age pregnancy.
- A family may be too poor to cope with a child.
- Life doesn’t really start until birth.
- Many pregnancies end through miscarriages – abortion is natural.
- A severely disabled baby may have a very poor quality of life.
- Bible quotes:
- “If some men are fighting and hurt a pregnant woman so that she loses her child," they should be fined. "but if the woman herself is injured, the punishment shall be life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.”
- “If a man does not get his share of happiness……then I say a baby born dead is better off. It does that baby no good to be born.”
- “ But better off are those who have never been born, who have never seen the injustice that goes on in the world.”
- Every child is a precious and unique gift from God. We have no right to destroy this.
- The rights of the unborn child are equal to those of her mother.
- The embryo is human from conception with its own DNA.
- Physically or mentally handicapped children can lead full and rewarding lives.
- Abortion is murder – the deliberate taking of a human life.
- Doctors and nurses promised to save life, not destroy it.
- The foetus can feel pain and has intelligence.
- Unwanted babies could be adopted. Many childless couples are desperate to adopt.
- God has a plan for every human being even before they are born.
- “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart” Jeremiah 1:5
- “You saw me before I was born” Psalm 139:16
- “God… chose me even before I was born" Galatians 1:15
- “Do not kill” Exodus 20:13
Roman Catholic and Salvation Army views on abortio
Abortion is always wrong. Life begins at conception, therefore abortion is murder.
Rape: Roman Catholic's do not support abortion - the foetus is paying for someone else's crime.
“Human life is sacred”.
The Salvation Army
Life is scared from the moment of conception, but accepts abortion if:
Mother’s life is in danger.
Baby can not survive for more than a few days, e.g. severely deformed.
Church of England view on abortion
Abortion is an evil to be avoided if possible, but is accepted if:
Risk to the mother’s life or her mental and physical health.
Baby likely to be deformed and mother feels she can not cope.