3 types of narrative codes tat can be analysed in a text...
- Action: The text tells a story that the audience can follow.
- Enigmatic: Allows the audience to interact and ask and answer questions.
- Symbolic: Identify major themes and ideologies
Cohens Moral Panic
A certain ssue is brought to the attention of the public through the interference of the media.
There are three stages to a moral panic...
- The occurence of a deviant act.
- Reported across media platforms, print, broadcast and e-media.
- Interaction from a governing body.
Del Sola Poole (1997)
Gives the audience the opportunity to access new media easily and to have the ability to be an active audience member as well as a passive audience member.
- Syntactic: What a media text denotes, and has one meaning.
- Representational: What a text represents, different meanings.
- Symbolic: Hidden symbolic meaning
Issues of race and legacy effect media representation.
Looks for patterns in films directed by the same director or 'author.'
When one country dominates another countries media consumption.
Texts have different meanings that aren't obvious.
Patterns can be analysed in certain films
Used imitation of eastern culture.