Causation is the process of one thing causing another. For example, a driver pressing the brake pedal causes the efeft of the car slowing down.
The argument from Causation:
- cause&effect seem to be a basc feature of the world.
- whatever we do has an effect. if i do my homework(cause) i will please my parents/teachers(effect).
- modern science has developed through looing at causes&effects&scientific investigations seem to show that any effect has a casue&any cause has an effect.
This means that the universe, the world&humans must have had a cause.
- God is the only logical cause of the universe.
- Therefore, God must exist.
- if everything needs a cause then God must need a cause. why should the process stop with God?
- it is possible matter itself is eternal&so never was created. this means the process could go back for ever.
- just because everything in the universe needs an explanation does not mean the universe needs an explanation. the universe could just have been there forever.
- even if there was a first cause it would not have to be the God of any particular religion. it could be good, evil a mixture of good&evil, several goods.