Rowntree and Booth + Lloyd george
Rowntree and Booth were social reformers, Rowntree reasearched poverty in york whilst Booth researched peverty in London. they found out that 1/3 of people live in poverty and the cause of poverty is low wages. put into context the Boar war 1899-1901, 1/3 of the volunteers were too unhealthy to fight, poverty caused unhealthiness and sickness.
- poor quality housing
- poor diet
- cant work if sick
- no NHS cant acess healthcare.
they helped the government to see that poverty made people sick. 1906-1919- government action- liberal reform.
- OAP pensions
- sickness benefits
- unemployment benefits
- free school meals
- council houses
Lloyd george made it happen, he fought opposition from the wealthy.
William Beveridge + Nye Bevan
NHS - 1946 it was passed, 1948- it came into action
- free healthcare for everyone
- beveridge report 1942
- civil servant
- WW2 - created a desire for a better world - created a sense of unity - rich people became more aware of the extent of poverty.
Beveridge wrote a report which included the 5 evils and how to conquer them; squilalor- council housing, idleness- jobs, ignorance- education, want- benefits, disease- NHS.
doctors opposes the NHS because they would be on a set salary and would loose money and freedom.
- ministor of health for labour party
- power + money to make things happen
- won over support of the doctors- if they joined the NHS he would allow private patients.