'If you don't pick me up, I'll vote Hoover' (Hitchhickers)
"Prosperity is just around the corner"
- The do nothing President
- Never left White House scared Americans would kil him
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- Positive, uplifting & vivacious campaigning
"Happy days are here again"
- Govenor of New York, intervening to help ordinary people
- New Deal helping Americans
"The forgotten man at the bottom of the economic pyramid"
- Traveled by train across the whole of US (13 thousand miles) ACTIVE
- New Deal= confused, flipped between cutting & spending $
- vague & contradicting
Catholics, African Americans, Southerners, trade unionsists, immigrants, North Blue Collar Workers
- Lame Duck (lasts 6 months of Presidency before new President)
- Hoover's last speech very weak
- Roosevelts speech inspiring
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
- Historian Brogan 'Turning point of American History'