1.8 Changing Pathogens
- Some pathogens , particulaly viruses, can mutate (change) resulting in a new from called a mutation.
- Few people are immune to these changes so disease can spread quickly.
- Diseases that spread within a country are called an epidemic. Those that spread across counries are called pandemics.
MRSA is the acronym for 'methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus'. It's very dangerous because it's a strain of bacterium that is resistant to most antibiotics. To slow down or stop the development of other strains of resistant bacteria, we should always:
- avoid the unnecessary use of antibiotics
- complete the full course.