Predation occurs when one organism is consumed by another.
Effect of predator-prey relationship on population size
- Predators eat their prey, thereby recucing the population of prey.
- With fewer prey available the predators arein greater competition wit eachother for the prey that are left.
- The predator popuilation is reduced as some individuals are unable to obtain enough prey for their survival.
- With fewer predators left, fewer prey are eaten.
-The prey population therefore increases
- With more prey now available as food, the predator population in turn increases.