Single circulatory system Fish
- Blood passes around the body ONCE for every complete circuit
- O2 is picked up at the gills and sent around the whole body in just once circuit
Double circulatory system Mammals
- Blood passes around the body TWICE for every complete circuit
- The right side of the heart takes blood to the lungs, where it picks up O2
- The blood goes to the left side of the heart where it is pumped around the body
1 of 2
Multicellular animals need transport systems:
- Because of their large size, so they have a low Surface area to volume ratio.
- They need constant supply of oxygen and glucose
- Theyre always active and need replacing constantly.
- Circulatory system: The two linked loops
- Pulmonary systems: Sends blood to lungs
- Systemic system: sends blood to the whole body
- Heart can give blood that extra push it needs. Therefore blood travels around body faster, and cells can take in the gases and nutrients in faster.
2 of 2