Armistice and Treaty of Versailles:
- Nov 11th 1918, Armistice signed.
- Allies, UK's George, FRA's Clameneau, ITA's Vittorio and US' Wilson.
- Peace talks until treaty could be sorted.
- TofV was diktat, Germans had no say.
- Showed on May 7th with 7 day deadline to accept.
- Treaty involved Territorial loss, Disarmement, War-guilt, Demilitarisation and Reparations.
- Nationalists were disgusted.
- Ebert said signing it was patriotic.
1 of 4
Terms of the Treaty of Versailles:
- TERRITORIAL LOSSES:
- 13% colonies lost.
- Alsace-Lorriane and Polish Corridor given to France and Poland.
- 75%, 65% and 30% lost in Zinc, Iron and Coal.
- LofN given Coal rich Saarland.
- Weapon and forts lost in Rhineland.
- Army limited to 100,000 men, 15,000 Navy and 6 Battleships.
- Rhineland was a place of war production. Allies took it over so they comply with terms of the treaty.
- WAR GUILT:
- Had to take all the blame for War.
- Paid £6.6b reparations.
- Couldn't join LofN.
2 of 4
German reaction to the Treaty:
- Angry and shocked.
- Thought they won the war, lied to via propaganda.
- Hated Kaiser's removal.
- Unfair, W's 14 points self-determination gave rights for countries to govern themselves. Independent from large empires. But, not allowed for Germany.
- Germans were living in non-German places, e.g. Poland.
- War-guilt was humiliation.
- Disarmement was discrimination.
- Nationalists hated French taking Saarland.
BUT THEY EXPECTED:
- Returning Alsace-Lorraine,
- creation of Poland,
- Giving over assets,
- Getting disarmed.
3 of 4
Germans Overreacted, Wiemar failed again.
- TofV could have been worse.
- French wanted Germany to suffer more.
- Saarland would be annexed and Rhineland made independent.
- If Germans won they would've colonized allies and imposed heavier reparations.
- German could've expected harshness.
WAS WEIMAR SUCCESSFUL?
- Moderate supporters were lost.
- Seens as a failure again.
- Nationalists and Friekorps had enough.
- Everyone linked to Treaties were now November criminals.
- Germans felt stabbed in the back.
- Overall even allies knew they were to harsh. Lloyd-George felt Germany were too weak, may be threatened by Bolshevik and communists spread from Russia.
- Clamencau felt Treaty was too nice,
- Wilson though UK and France enriched themselves.
4 of 4