Slides in this set
The Kaiser could usually depend on the
support of the 3 right-wing parties.
· German Conservative Party.
· Free Conservative Party.
· National Liberal Party.
Voting strength of these parties was in
· 1877: 47%, 220 Seats.
· 1912: 26%, 102 Seats.…read more
Although supportive of the government at
times, generally more critical.
From 1893 divided into 3 factions, making
them incapable of having a decisive say in
· Explains the failure of German liberalism to make
and impact politically, whilst their counterparts
were succeeding in other countries.…read more
Importance increased during the Kulturkampf.
Consistently strong afterwards.
· Won between 90 and 110 seats in the Reichstag, making it
the largest party until 1912
Embraced a large spread of views despite
· Right wing conservatism to progressive social reform.
· Representation sufficiently large so that the ZP had pivotal
Spread of Socialism went hand in
hand with the emerged of the SPD.
· Not popular with ruling elite.
Anti-Socialist laws significantly
reduced representation to a handful
· 1878 1890…read more