Slides in this set
What we will cover this week ...
1. Well first we need to define culture;
2. Then we need to look at a couple of
3. Then we need to see if there are any key
elements where they agree;
4. Then it might be useful to look at some of
the main characteristics that make up this
thing called `culture'.
5. Then we will look at the nature of cultural
What we will cover
6. Then a wee glimpse at norms and values
(but we'll cover this in more depth next
7. Finally today we'll take a look at
Next week we'll look at culture and the
... and the week after all the theory that
holds it all together…read more
Why do we need to study culture?
Because it includes .....
Everything that is not
(Breathing, hearing, voicebox)
Everything humans invented
and individual humans learn
What is Culture
We can see a basic distinction between
two dimensions of culture ......
Material culture consists of the physical objects (artefacts) such
as: cars, mobile phones and books, a society produces which
reflects the extent of its cultural knowledge, skills, interests and
Non-material culture, on the other hand, consists of the
knowledge and beliefs that influence people's behaviour. In
our culture behaviour may be influenced by religion (Islamic
fundamentalism). politics (vegetarianism) or science (we are
happy to go on cruises because the world is round).…read more