First 233 words of the document:
What has been the effect of appointments to the Supreme Court since 2005?
· There have been four appointments to the Court- 2 for Bush and 2 for Obama
· Roberts, Sotomeyer and Kagan- these appointments did not change the
ideological balance of the court
· Alito's appointment was much more significant, as he was a proven solid
conservative voter. Further, he had taken the place of Sandra Day O'Connor,
who had been the "swing justice" of the Supreme Court.
· Centrist decisions have been made; eg Boudmedine v Bush, which ruled that
prisoners of Guantanamo Bay had a right to habeas corpus
· However, they also have made some liberal decisions, especially in regards to
· District of Columbia vs Heller: Ruled that the 2nd Amendment (the right to
bear arms) applied to federal enclaves, striking down a 1975 law which
· McDonald v Chicago: Ruled that the 2nd Amendment applies to individual
states and struck down several laws regarding gun restrictions in Chicago.
· Justice Kennedy has now taken the role the "swing justice" and often makes
liberal decisions; for example in Christian Legal Society v Martinez he sided
with the liberal judges to stop a Christian group from not allowing people into
their group on the basis of their sexual orientation.