First 395 words of the document:
Unit 7: Medical Ethics
FOR animal testing
1. Humans are God's most important creation. Animals were made for us to control.
"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every other living creature that
moves on the ground." Genesis 1:28
2. The Sanctity of Life teaches that all human life is sacred and special and must be respected for we
have a divine spark and something of God in us.
Humans are the summit of God's creation their life & health are more important than the welfare of
animals. We shouldn't give animal exaggerated attention & care when there are humans suffering
3. Unlike human beings, animals do not have a `soul'/special relationship with God and cannot make
moral choices for themselves. Some animals don't feel pain therefore animal testing is acceptable.
4. Medical scientists argue that animal tests take place so people have safe medicines to rely on, can
discover other ways to cure cancer without harming human, can save lives
Church agrees improves medical understanding and knowledge for chemicals' safety as such
testing is a requirement of law
5. Roman Catholic view
God entrusted animals to the stewardship of humans who were created `in His own image'.
It is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing and to help man in his work and leisure.
Medical experiments on animals are morally acceptable but should remain within reasonable limits
(to save human lives and to improve the quality of human health but NOT for cosmetics) and should
avoid causing unnecessary suffering to animals.
Three Guiding Principles for researchers to aim for
REPLACE use of animals with alternative techniques, or avoid the use of animals altogether
REDUCE the number of animals used to a minimum
REFINE the experiment procedures to minimise animals' pain and suffering
British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection (BUAV)
"Experimentation on animals is morally indefensible. It's also scientifically unreliable and there
can be effective alternatives to it."
Morally indefensible animals can't defend themselves, can't voice consent or refusal
Scientifically unreliable animals are too different from human
Other alternatives culture cells, test on ourselves
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
AGAINST animal testing
1. Painful for animals. If animals did it on us, we would not feel good either.
2. Humans are animals, why not test on us?
3. Many surgical treatments (including cancer treatment) require animal tests. Animals are given various
tumours and they are killed afterwards = all seen as murder = it is a sin (6th commandment "Thou
shall not murder." Exodus 20:13)
4. "And God saw that it was good.…read more