First 510 words of the document:
Vitamin Function Sources Deficiencies
1) Required to make a substance called Vitamin A is found as retinol in animal A deficiency may cause:
visual purple. foods, particularly: The retina ceases to make visual purple vision
2) Required to keep the mucous membranes Milk, cheese, eggs, butter & oily fish in dim light is impaired leading to night
in the throat and the digestive, bronchial Vitamin A is found as beta(ß)carotene blindness.
A and excretory systems moist and free in plant foods, especially: The skin and mucous membranes become dry
(Fat Soluble) from infection. Carrots, spinach, watercress, and infected and resistance to disease is
3) Required for the maintenance and health apricots, parsley, cabbage, reduced.
of the skin. tomatoes and prunes. Growth of children is retarded.
4) Required for the normal growth of children,
particularly the bones and teeth.
1) Release energy from carbohydrate. Cereals, especially wholegrain A deficiency may cause:
2) Required for the normal growth and Cereal products, e.g. bread, flour Depression, irritability, difficulty in
general health. Yeast and yeast extracts, e.g. beer, concentration, defective memory, anxiety.
3) Required for the function and maintenance wheat germ Growth retardation in children
of nerves. All meat, especially pork, bacon, ham, Nerves become inflamed and painful, muscles
liver, kidney, heart become weak, reflexes are reduced.
This vitamin cannot be stored by the Eggs Tongue may swell and lips become sore.
body, so a daily supply is necessary for Fish roe Severe deficiency can lead to the disease
all age groups. Milk beriberi.
1) Required to make connective tissue. Rich Sources Prolonged deficiency may lead to:
2) Assists the absorption of the mineral iron. Rosehips, blackcurrants, green peppers, General weakness, irritability, pain in muscles
3) Required for the production of blood and kiwi fruit. and joints, loss of weight, fatigue.
the walls of the blood vessels. Good Sources: Gums bleed and teeth loosen.
4) Required for the building and maintenance Citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruits, Cuts and wounds fail to heal properly.
C of the skin and linings of the digestive lemons, strawberries) Scar tissue may weaken and break open.
(Water Soluble) system. Cabbage, spinach, Brussels sprouts, Anaemia, because iron is not absorbed
5) Assists vitamin E in its role as an broccoli properly without vitamin C.
antioxidant in the prevention of coronary Reasonable Sources: A severe deficiency leads to the disease scurvy,
heart disease. Bean sprouts, peas, potatoes the symptoms in addition to the ones mentions
include. It is rare to see the true cases of scurvy
in the UK.
1) Required for the formation of bones and Found in good supply: Absorption of calcium and phosphorus from the
D teeth, which contain large amounts of Liver small intestine is reduced so there is
(Fat Soluble) calcium and phosphorus. Fishliver oils oily fish insufficient amounts to maintain the strength of
Found in smaller amounts in: bones & teeth, leading to rickets.
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
Vitamin D helps promote the absorption of Egg yolk An adult form of rickets is known as
these minerals. Margarine osteomalacia, it occurs particularly in the
3) After digestion they are absorbed from the Milk and dairy products elderly.
small intestine into the blood which takes Sunlight is an important source Growth of children is retarded.
them to the bones and teeth.…read more