Theory of Oligopoly - Unit 3 (AQA)

HideShow resource information
  • Created by: Tom
  • Created on: 22-01-13 19:23
Preview of Theory of Oligopoly - Unit 3 (AQA)

First 302 words of the document:

Economics ­ Oligopolies (1/10/12)
The Theory of Oligopoly
Definition = The majority of the market is concentrated in the hands of a few large firms ­
this can be seen in such diverse industries as car production, food processing, banking,
insurance, consumer electrics etc. (Oligopoly is the most common market structure)
There can also be quite a large number of small firms operating within the industry
(e.g. supermarkets vs. corner shops) ­ The small firms have virtually no effect on the
conduct or performance of the larger firms
Economists measure the market strength of the large firms in terms of a
concentration ratio (expresses the percentage of the market held by large firms)
5:80 = Largest five firms posses 80% of the market share ­ The remaining 20% is
taken up by smaller firms
There is no one single theory of oligopoly, how it is likely to act and no simple set of rules
for equilibrium ­ they way the firms operate depends on the particular market
circumstances.
Market Conduct:
Non-Price competition ­ Use other strategies such as R&D, innovation and marketing
to compete in the market
Price Rigidity ­ Stable prices/Similar prices across the market
Price Leadership/Price Arrangements/Prices Wars (Price wars are detrimental to all
companies involved as it harms their profits that they could all keep the same and
sustain)
Collusion ­ Formal or Tacit (Collective decision making)
Firms are interdependent ­ Action by one firm will lead to a reaction by a competitor
Interdependent Decision Making ­ Firms need to take into account the likely
reactions of their rivals to changes that they make (price, output etc.)
Oligopoly firms have reactive behaviour
Oligopolies are profit maximises ­ Produce where MC=MR

Other pages in this set

Page 2

Preview of page 2

Here's a taster:

Formal Collusion = Cartel occurring ­ We are going to control the price in the market (fines
from competition commission if found out)
Tacit Collusion = secretly colluding or when other companies follows suit to what another
company has done (e.g. Tesco put's their prices up so Sainsbury's do it as well) ­
Competition commission find this very hard to prove.…read more

Page 3

Preview of page 3

Here's a taster:

Informal Collusion
Collusion may operate by one of the firms acting as a price leader ­ this firms signals
changes in prices to other firms in the cartel
When the firm raises its price = All other firms in the cartel follow suit
Forms of Price Leadership:
The price leader may be the dominant firm in the industry in terms of market share
­ when it changes its price, all other firms follow
Barometric Price Leadership ­ Role is taken by a smaller firm that…read more

Page 4

Preview of page 4

Here's a taster:

Barriers to Entry:
Oligopolies desire to keep other firms out ­ barriers to entry may emerge and they may be
based on economies of scale
In the absence of such barriers, Oligopolists may decide to create them in the following
ways:
Limit & Predatory Pricing ­ The firm that has the lowest costs can `limit pricing' by
reducing its prices to a level whereby other firms are unable to compete
Advertising ­ Large firms purchase much more advertising and so their unit costs
are lower…read more

Page 5

Preview of page 5

Here's a taster:

The Kinked Demand Curve:
The Kinked Demand Curve explains price rigidity (why firms keep their prices stable in an
oligopolistic market)
Oligopolistic Firms are Interdependent ­ Concerned about what their competitors are doing
Raising Price Above P1:
Face a very elastic demand curve
A small rise in price = A disproportionate loss of market share and revenue
Lowering Price Below P1:
Don't gain any more market share ­ other firms will follow suit (Interdependent)
Face a inelastic demand curve
Could lead to a price war…read more

Page 6

Preview of page 6

Here's a taster:

Marginal Cost:
Can shift up and down without any effect on the level of output or the price
There is no incentive for firms to produce at MC3…read more

Comments

No comments have yet been made

Similar Economics resources:

See all Economics resources »See all resources »