Slides in this set
· Difference in responsibility:
· Elders of the family feel none towards any others
· Younger ones feel more and more sense of community
· Gerald is somewhere in the middle
· "And I tell you that the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that
lesson, when they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish."- Inspector
· "One Eva Smith has gone - but there are millions and millions and millions of
Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives, their hopes and
fears, their suffering and chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives,
and what we think and say and do."- Inspector…read more
· Difference in class:
· Younger ones feel less of a class system
· Older ones feel more and stick to it.
· Lady Croft disproves of Gerald marrying Sheila, lower class.
"Girls of that class."- Mrs Birling
"It's a haunt of the women of the town"- Gerald Croft…read more
· In society at the time women were second class citizens
· The best for upper class women was to marry, nothing else
· Lower class women had to work, many were prostitutes.
· "We were paying the usual rates and if they didn't like those rates, they
could go and work somewhere else."- Mr Birling
· "young and fresh and charming"- Gerald
· "a girl of that sort would ever refuse money." Mrs Birling…read more
· Mind-set, older have a fixed mind-set, younger have a growth mind-set.
· Old less honest, younger admit their faults.
· Old never examined conscience, young see human in Eva's story
· Real inspector is feared by old and not by young
· "the fact remains that I did what I did."
· "Now you three young people, just listen to this.. by the time you'll be living
in a world that'll have forgotten all these Capital versus Labour agitators and
these silly little war scares" Mr Birling…read more