First 334 words of the document:
· He was a lawyer, philosopher and most importantly a
politician as he valued politics highly in his life.
· He did not have the support of his family to become a
politician immediately so he became a lawyer first.
· He was a supporter of the Roman republic and because of
this he found that he was getting into difficult situations.
· Once his life moved over to politics, he was very successful
as he once got 3 people to be executed just by what he had
· Cicero did not want to join the first coalition of Julius
Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60BC which lead Roman
· In 58BC a law was created which stated that anyone who had
killed a Roman would be put into exile and so Cicero was
banned from living within 500 miles of Italy and could not
interfere with any politics.
· Therefore Cicero started philosophy and even though he
was allowed back into Rome, he was banned from politics
(because laws had changed).
· The civil war broke out between Pompey and Caesar because
of the death of Crassus and Cicero believed that the
consequence of Rome becoming an empire would be a
· Octavian - Following the assassination of Caesar, Cicero
urged the senate to support Octavian.
· Cicero believed he could be thrown out by the senate and
therefore all the power of the Roman Empire would be
given to the senaate.
· But this plan back-fired and the conspirators found a way to
· Anthony ordered the killing of Cicero, who was caught
trying to escape Rome.
· His hands were nailed to the speaking platform in the senate
as a warning.
· Whilst Rome was under the rule of Caesar, Cicero was in
exile and wrote philosophical works.
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
· Cicero always believed that philosophy could influence
politics so it is possible he was encouraging his view points.
· In his letters to his friends were speeches which were looked
after following his death.
· Cicero fully believed in Stoicism in which wealth has
nowhere near enough value to justify turning away virtue to
· Cicero also believed that Gods existed and loved human