Slides in this set
Our Circulatory system does the following...
· Takes oxygen and provides nutrients to every
cell in our bodies.
· Removes carbon dioxide and all other waste
products from our bodies
· Carries hormones and transports them to
different parts of the body.
· Maintains temperature and fluid levels within our
· Prevents infection from invading organisms.…read more
What our circulatory system
is made up of.
· Blood is transported around our body, to ensure
that our muscles and other vital organs function
properly. Blood contains oxygen and nutrients,
which needs to be given to different parts of the
body. In order for the blood to be transported
around us, the circulatory system needs...
· Arteries- Carries blood away from the heart
· Capillaries- Carries blood to and from the body's
· Veins- Carries blood back into the heart.…read more
Systemic, and pulmonary
· Systemic circulation carries oxygenated blood
around the body. It returns with any waste
products which need to be removed from our
· Pulmonary circulation is when deoxygenated
blood is carried from the heart to the lungs. Here
carbon dioxide is exchanged for oxygen.
Oxygenated blood will then be carried back to
the heart.…read more
Different types of blood
· Red blood cells
· White blood cells · Also formed in the bone marrow.
·Platelets produce thrombokinase (used in
· Platelets the blood clotting process)
· Plasma ·Help close wounds internally and externally.
Red blood cells ·Irregular Platelets stick together to form a
plug over any wounds.
· In the shape of a disc and are red.
· Formed in the bone marrow.
· Transports oxygen to the tissues around Plasma
the body. ·Plasma is made up of 90% water.
· Has haemoglobin inside them (used so ·Contains salts and glucose inside it.
oxygen can attach to it, to form ·Includes antibodies to protect the person
oxyhaemoglobin) from infections.
White blood cells
· Also known as leucocytes.
· Much bigger than red blood cells.
· Unlike red blood cells white ones contain
· Acts as a defence system for our body.
· Surrounds and consumes microbes, and
can form antibodies…read more