Slides in this set
Family type Key Terms
· Empty shell family = where the children have moved out of the family home and the
parents are left alone.
· Reconstituted family = one or both partners have been married previously with or
· Extended family = 3 generation family which involved children, parents and
grandparents living in the same household or near by.
· Singleton = living alone.
· Single parent family = one parent living alone with their children.
· Nuclear family = 2 generation traditional setup with a married couples with 2
children 2 adults with the traditional division of labour living together.
· Cohabitation = living together with or without having a family before marriage.
· Same-sex families = same sex couples living together.
· Household = a group of unrelated people living together and sharing household
chores and bills.
· Family = a group of people related through blood/marriage with or without children.
· Symmetrical family = where roles of the married couple are becoming more equal.
· DINKI family = most common amongst younger couples and means dual income no
Demography key terms
· Birth rates = The number of babies being born per 1000 live birth per year.
· Death rates = The number of people dying per 1000 of the population per
· Immigration = movement into an area/society.
· Emigration = movement out of one area/society into another.
· Net migration = the difference between the number of people
immigrating and emigrating.
· Migration = movement of people from place to place which can be
internal or international within society.
· Push factors = this is where issue will push the person to leave their
current place of residence e.g. bad economy or unemployment.
· Pull factors = this is where people are attracted to a countries benefits
and opportunities such as e.g.. Big job market and the NHS.
· Total fertility rate (TFR) = the number of children a woman will have
during her fertile year (15-44).
· Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) = the number of babies which die before
their first birthday per 1000 live birth per years.
· Fertile years = 15 44 years .…read more
Couples key terms
· Expressive role = The role the women carries out such as nurturing their
· Instrumental role = The idea that the dominant male is the breadwinner
who goes out to work in order to provide for their family.
· Joint roles = Roles
· Segregated roles = Roles that are separate and different to one another.
· Integrated roles = Roles that are shared and brought together within the
· Symmetrical family = Roles that are shared within the family.
· Dual burden = when a woman has the responsibility of unpaid work and
paid work such as going to work and coming home to household chores.
· Triple shift = when a women is responsible of 3 jobs they are looking after
the children, doing household chores aswell as going out to work.
· Division of labour = when couples do different things in the production
process there leads to a division of labour.
· New man =…read more
Marriage and divorce key terms
· Cohabitation = living together with or without having a family before
· Monogamy = person can only be married at one time
· Serial monogamy = when a person has a series of divorces, marriages and
· Polygamy = is when a person is married to more than one person at the
· Polyandry = woman and husbands The two types of
· Polygyny = man with wives polygamy
· Separation = when a couple live apart but are still legally married
· Bigamy = when a person is married to more than one person at the same
time and is breaking the law.
· Divorce = is the legal end to a marriage
· Empty shell marriages = when a couple are still married and live in the
same house but lead separate lives…read more