Slides in this set
PARTS OF THE ESSAY
· Religion hinders Social Change.
· Durkheim, Parsons, Malinowski, Bellah
Marxism & Neo-Marxism
· Religion hinders Social Change
· Marx, Maduro, Worsley
· Acts as a Catalyst for Social Change
· Weber, Bruce, Martin Luther King, Christian New Right
· Acts for and against Social Change
· Weber, Nanda, Redding, Lehman…read more
Offers us hope and
confidence for the
Gives us shared stability
norms and values giving
(Value Consensus) people,
Look at Aborigines in Australia who saw Worshipped the totem = Worshipping
items as Sacred or Profane stable society,
Looks at The Trobriand Islanders who At times of potential risk women did
survived off fishing. religious rituals to protect husbands.
Religion has a code of laws that have
Religion bonds us in times of trauma e.
to be followed for a passage to
g. funerals etc.
CIVIL RELIGION - BELLAH
r i s t ianit
t h e
of A m
allegiance to the flag
Being religious = Being
American. Not so much a
belief just the name and
1. Most people in the 1.London Bombings
Uk do attend Funerals prove religion can
to grieve. cause terrorism not
2. People turn to stability.
religion to deal with 2. Religion can
trauma (9/11) radicalise young men.
3. We use prayer to 3. Studies were small
give ourselves hope. scale…read more