Slides in this set
Are biochemical reactions that synthesise
large molecules from smaller molecules, e.g.
· Proteins from amino acids.
· Steroids from cholesterol.
· Cellulose from beta glucose.…read more
WHY WE NEED ENERGY:
· A Scared Elephant Runs More Actively.
· Energy is needed to drive our biological
· ATP is a universal energy currency which
provides energy for:
· Active transport- needed for Na+ /K+ pump.
· Secretion of useful molecules by exocytosis.
· Endocytosis of useful molecules.
· Replication of DNA and organelles before a cell
· Movement-muscle contraction.
· Activation of chemicals e.g. During glycolysis
when glucose is phosphorylated to become more
unstable so it can be broken down to release