Slides in this set
· The Forgiving Father Luke 15:11-32
A father has two sons. The younger son takes his share of the inheritance and wastes
it. He decides to go back to his family and ask to be a servant. His father welcomes him
with open arms and throws a party but his brother is jealous.
· The Good Samaritan Luke 10:25-37
A man is mugged on his way to Jericho and left for dead. A priest and a lawyer pass him
by because he is unclean. The man thought the Samaritans were his enemy but a
Samaritan stops, helps him, takes him to an inn and pays for him to be looked after.
· The Unmerciful Servant Matthew 18:23-3
A king shows a servant mercy when he cannot pay his large debt. The servant is then
violent to a man who owes him a small amount of money and puts him in jail. When the
king hears he is angry and has the servant sent away to be tortured because he did not
show mercy. Jesus says this is how we will be treated when God judges us.…read more
The Rite of Reconciliation
RECONCILIATION: A sacrament that allows a person to repair a
relationship with God that they have damaged by sin.
· There are two types of reconciliation:
· Individual (by yourself with a priest, confessing out loud)
· Communal (as a service, confessing mentally)…read more
Silent prayer and examination of conscience, calling to mind
what you have done wrong.
2. Sign of Cross and
To show sacrament is focused upon the forgiving love of God.
"Bless me father for I have sinned..." Accepting responsibility
by telling the priest what you have done wrong.
4. Penance Given a task to earn forgiveness.
You show you are genuinely sorry by saying an Act of
5. Contrition Contrition, a prayer to show you are determined to change
with God's help.
Guilt is taken away when the priest says "I absolve you from
your sins", using the authority inherited from the Apostles.…read more
1. Preparation Prayers and hymns set the tone of the service.
2. Liturgy of the Word Readings focus upon the forgiving love of God.
3. Examination of Reflect upon how well you are living your life and call to mind
Conscience any sins which need forgiving.
Pray about the sins you need forgiveness from, thinking about
the effects on your relationship with God and others.
The priest gives a General Absolution of venial sins and sins
of omission, and guilt is taken away.
6. Thanks and Praise The community pray, reflecting on the joy of reconciliation.…read more
Sin and Forgiveness
SIN: To do something that is not fully good or fully
loving, so it goes against God's laws.
· There are three different types of sin:
1. Mortal Sin A serious sin, carried out deliberately.
2. Venial Sin - An action that is sinful but not intentional.
3. Sin of Omission - Not doing something we should.
· Christians believe God's love is a forgiving love and
that God will forgive anyone who repents and does
not sin again.…read more