First 188 words of the document:
1.1 EXERCISE 2 ram, rmm and mass spectra
Deduce the relative atomic masses of the following elements.
1. Silicon (28 Si 92.21%, 29
Si 4.70%, 30
2. Silver (107
Ag 51.88%, 109
3. Boron (10
B 19.7%, 11
4. Gallium (69
Ga 60.2%, 71
Assume in all cases the relative isotopic mass is equal to the mass number.
6. Bromine has two isotopes, with mass numbers 79 and 81. Its relative atomic mass is often given as 80. What does that tell
you about the relative abundance of the two isotopes?
7. Most argon atoms have a mass number 40. How many neutrons does this isotope have? The relative isotopic mass of this
isotope is 39.961, but the relative atomic mass of argon is 39.948. What can you deduce about the other isotopes of argon?
8. For each of the following stages in a mass spectrometer, state which part of the spectrometer is responsible for it and how it
9. Deduce, giving reasons, the relative molecular mass of compound A, which has the following mass spectrum: