Slides in this set
· Stress when a person sees the demands of a
situation to be greater than the ability to cope
· Stressor the source of stress
· Acute short lived & intense
· Chronic long term & on-going
· Fight or flight gears up the body to respond
most effectively…read more
· When exposed to an acute stressor the SNS is
· At the same time the sympathetic adrenal
medullary system SAM is activated
· This makes up the sympathomedullary
· Hypothalamus stimulates adrenal medulla.
This releases adrenaline and noradrenaline.
This gets the body ready for fight or flight. This
makes physiological changes occur e.g.
increased heart rate/high blood pressure.…read more
Chronic Stress: Pituitary Adrenal
· Hypothalamus stimulates the pituitary gland
to release the adrenocorticotrophic hormone.
This stimulates the adrenal cortex which
releases cortisol into the blood. This causes
physiological changes e.g. lowered pain
sensitivity/high blood pressure…read more