Slides in this set
· Suggests that individuals with schizophrenia don't have the ability
to test reality, that is to distinguish between the internal and
· Places an emphasis on childhood experiences
· Emphasises the primary caregiver
· If care is inadequate, child wont develop a proper sense of self
· During adolescence, schizophrenic symptoms can occur
· Little evidence to support
· Places too much emphasis on one caregiver reductionist.…read more
· Bateson 1956 double bind theory.
· If a child repeatedly receives contradictory messages (tone of voice and body
language tells a different story to the verbal words) then they will end up with a
false sense of reality and inability to communicate properly.
· High EE environment.
· Expressed emotion hostility, criticism or over-concern towards patient.
· Brown 1972 relapse more likely if patient returns to a home with high levels of
· Assess EE by observing/interviewing one family member.
· Tarrier et al strong correlation between relapse and high EE environment.
* Co-morbid with depression similar patterns found
* Only one observation is done within family not representative of family dynamic.
* High risk children who go on to develop schizophrenia are from families with
negative relationships.…read more
Frith's Model Cognitive!
· Schizophrenics cant distinguish between internal intention and external forces
· Conscious and preconscious filters are defective inconsequential information is
passed through to the conscious processes and is misinterpreted as something
that needs to be acted on.
· Leads to hallucinations
· This is because of irregularity of neuronal pathways linking the hippocampus to
pre-frontal cortex. This part of the brain is linked to the regulation of dopamine.
* Not universal support
* Doesn't take into account environmental factors reductionist
* Principle of parsimony explanations in science should be as simple as
possible this is not.
* Tried to demonstrate his hypothesis changes in cerebral blood flow in
the brains of those with schizophrenia whilst doing specific cognitive
Helmsley's Model Cognitive!
· Disconnection between stored knowledge and current
· We have schemas. Schizophrenics can not
differentiate between schemas and new situations
don't know which stimuli to pay attention to.
· Leads to hallucinations.
* No evidence
* Describes the symptoms but doesn't explain origin.…read more
· Accepts a number of different approaches have a role to play
· Some have a biological predisposition caused by genetics or adverse
conditions in womb
· Biological vulnerability leads to psychological vulnerability inability to
process information correctly.
· Stressful life events and a high EE environment can trigger psychotic
· Wont experience these symptoms if they around a warm, supportive
social network and have good coping skills.
* Takes into account a number of different approaches less reductionist,
middle of N/N debate
* Application good suggestions for therapy a combination of biological
and psychological.…read more